Security Screening Policy
For the safety and enjoyment of all visitors to Star-Spangled Spectacular, a security screening and bag policy has been implemented that conforms to best practice standards for large-scale events. The City’s public safety team continues to evaluate security policies and is always adapting to provide the safest and most secure environment. Developed with the event organizers, this policy represents best practices nationwide and takes into account both safety and visitor experience.
The security and bag policies are only for your visits to: the Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, Martin State Airport and when visiting any naval vessels, domestic or foreign, at North Locust Point, on Under Amour Pier, in the Inner Harbor or on Broadway Pier. (Note – this policy does not apply to visiting the Tall Ships.) This comprehensive policy includes details on the types of bags permitted in these venues, prohibited items, and screening protocols.
To ensure a safe event and minimize long lines, Star-Spangled Spectacular has adopted a bag policy that limits the size and type of bags that may be brought into these regulated areas. The goal of this policy is to enhance public safety and facilitate efficient access to all of these areas. Star-Spangled Spectacular strongly encourages visitors to leave your bags at home, but if you need to carry certain belongings with you, a list of permissible items is outlined below.
Visitors will be able to carry the following style and size bag at all secure festival locations:
- 1 clear bag per person not to exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″ (1 gallon freezer bag)
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap. (This is in addition to the clear bag.)
*An exception will be made for medically necessary items like oxygen tanks, medical devices and aids (colostomy bags, etc.) after proper inspection.
- Sunscreen and bug spray (non aerosol containers)
- Rain Ponchos or personal umbrellas
- No bags other than the type listed above
- No outside food or beverage items (baby food will be permissible in reasonable quantities)
- No alcohol
- No chairs or stools of any type
- No metal aerosol containers
- No ice or ice packs
- No coolers
- No outside cans, cups, or containers
- No illegal substances, drugs, or drug paraphernalia
- No knives with a blade longer than 4”
- No weapons of any kind
- No banners, posters, or signs
- No animals or pets (except service animals)
- No Mace, pepper spray or other defensive sprays or chemicals
- No flammable liquids
- No fireworks or any types of explosives
- No skateboards, scooters, or personalized motor vehicles (non-medical)
- No bicycles inside security screening points
- No tents, canopies, or beach umbrellas
- No wagons or carts of any type (children in strollers are allowed)
- No poles, sticks, or tripods/monopods
- No lasers or pointers
- No instruments, megaphones, horns, or noise makers
- No grills or cooking devices
Current best practices for physical security screening will be utilized to include:
- Bag searches
- X-ray machines
To print the Bag Policy flyer, click here.